Sunday, May 08, 2005

Where did Seattle Go? (And Other Deep Questions)







American Cities That Best Fit You:



65% New York City

65% San Francisco

65% Washington, DC

55% Philadelphia

50% Boston





In my case, I think Seattle should be tied with NYC and ranked higher than San Francisco (San Francisco is even colder than Seattle, which is already too cold for me). I think the reason that Seattle doesn't even appear on my list is because I prefer to take public transit instead of driving, unless I am going on a birding trip. Even worse, there wasn't a "ride your bicycle" option in the quiz, which would have changed the results, in my opinion. Basically, when I lived in Seattle, I often rode my bike, walked or rode public transit.






Your Inner European is Italian!








Passionate and colorful.

You show the world what culture really is.





I have no idea how my inner European is qualified to be such a lofty creature as an Italian, but there you have it: I have culture, so I don't need to explain anything that I wear. By the way, does anyone know where I can get a pair of leather boots like those in the picture?




Your Linguistic Profile:



40% General American English

35% Yankee

15% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern




I admit it; I am a linguistic melting pot. I picked up most of my odd word choices and usages from books and, to a lesser extent, newspapers. This is probably the most normal thing about me since my entire childhood was spent in the warm embrace of huge numbers of books. But desite my linguistic hodgepodge, I lack any trace of an accent (New Yawkuhs think I sound funny when I talk, a view that I share about them).


You are Wickipedia.  You are a know-it-all. You are trustworthy most of the time.  You are versatile and useful. You like volunteering. You are free.

Which Website are You?


Gee, thanks. After taking so many internet quizzes that seem to agree with each other about me, maybe I should rethink my personality somewhat. Is it true that I am a know-it-all??


Given my current state of unemployment, which will soon transform me into a incredibly bitchy welfare recipient, I decided that maybe my new career should be scamming people out of their hard-earned money. After all, if they have more money than brains, then they deserve to lose it to people like me, right? It's Social Darwinism in action; instead of treating other people the way I wish to be treated, I will instead focus on treating myself the way I wish to be treated! (It's a rotten job but someone has to do it!) Anyway, with that goal in mind, I decided to find out which popular internet scammer I could most easily emulate ..

You are Luisa Estrada.
Which Nigerian spammer are You?



After all my poking around on the internet, and after all the internet quizzes I have taken, I have developed several quiz ideas of my own. Is anyone out there willing to help me code them? Can I host my quizzes on my blog or website?

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

11 Peer Reviews:

Blogger Alon Levy said...

The site I got was sportsline, which is weird considering that I'm less into sports than almost all (first-world) males. The city I got first was Chicago, followed by New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington (though the one I want to live in the most is New York, followed by San Francisco).

About San Francisco and Seattle, isn't San Francisco hotter, considering that it's about ten degrees of latitude south of Seattle?

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"After all my poking around on the internet, and after all the internet quizzes I have taken, I have developed several quiz ideas of my own. Is anyone out there willing to help me code them? Can I host my quizzes on my blog or website?"

I am going to be annoying and say - depends. The coding part is not too bad, but you need to have access to a server that runs ASP, PHP or ASP.NET to make it available. I doubt you can do that with your blog, but if you have access to a different server, it could be possible.
I guess it might be possible to do with JavaScript, but that would probably not work as well, and I wouldn't suggest that.

If you want help with the coding, drop me a line at public@kristjanwager.dk, and we can see if we can figure something out.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and while I remember - I am in Denmark, so there might be some lag time in my response, if you decide to email me.

3:12 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Great quizzes. Seattle came in second to Honolulu. WTF? I said I like it cool. Isn't Honolulu hot?
Turns out I'm The Onion website. Used to be interesting, but not anymore (according to them) I don't know, I don't ever read it. But all in all that sounds like me!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently I'm Yahoo. I adapt slowly but many still rely on me. I like to organise things. I am very popular. I like to yodel.

I'd say that was every bit as accurate as the city quiz telling me I'd love to live in the Deep South. ;)

--Werewolf32

11:57 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

You might find your leather boots at this web site :).

4:36 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Sportsline is odd, Alon .. do you have any idea which questions made them decide on that classification? I didn't even realize it was a possible result. Maybe I should go back and play with it some more.

Chicago is a nice city, people say it is cleaner than NYC, although I would have no idea since I've only ever flown over Chicago (a dozen times or so), and landed in it (twice), so I wouldn't know, really.

Yes, even though San Fran is significantly south of Seattle, every time I've been there (in the summer and autumn), it has been colder than Seattle .. lots colder, meaning that I had to wear a sweater to keep from shivering.

Kristjan .. I do have access to another server, where my webpage is mirrored as I work on that .. I will work on quiz questions for that and maybe we can work something out with the coding as my question development progresses. Thanks for the information, I'll see what I can come up with!

I think that Honolulu is hot in the summer, or so I am told, RD. Do you suppose it is also humid? Hopefully there is a lurker here who can tell us more about what the weather is like there.

Hi, WW32, it's good to see you again! I had no idea that you love to yodel and live in the deep south, who'd'a thunk it??

Why do you abhor Atlanta, Gollux? A fellow adjunct of mine, whom I have never written about on my public blog, is considering moving there because he cannot afford to live in NYC on adjunct wages combined with his pension. He asked me what I thought about his relocation idea, and I honestly had no idea what to say.

OOOOoooo, Anne .. thanks for the link! Now I know what to save my pennies for!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

I have no idea about Sportsline, Hedwig; I don't remember what answers I gave, but none of those I remember seems to be related to sports. For example, I answered that if my house was on fire, I'd save my children first (assuming I had any, which I don't).

Actually, I've never been in Chicago, and I've only been in New York for ten days in total on two trips. These ten days made good enough an impression on me, though, to the point that I'm setting most of my book in it.

Another quiz I've answered is the American varieties quiz, but I don't think my score (65% GenAm, 25% Yankee, 10% Dixie) means anything. I guessed the idiom questions because some of those idioms I'd never heard about before, being a nonnative speaker and all. My accent is vaguely New Yorkish; I pronounce most vowels the way they do in New York, but never drop r's and sometimes pronounce oo's and short-a's like in the Western US. At times I also pronounce ee like in the South, but usually I don't.

Whether Honolulu's humid or not depends on your standards. When I was there, it was about as hot and humid as I'm used to (high 20s Celsius, 90%) if I remember correctly, and I may well not.

11:54 AM  
Blogger No Milk Please said...

i think you can go to and host your quiz there. then send it to you friends to take it :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Hey Alon .. I tried the "website" quiz several times and was unable to discern any "sportsline" sorts of questions. I am guessing they are more subtle than typical quiz questions.

As far as the American language varieties quiz .. that's definitely a very imprecise quiz (as I am sure you expected) and should, at least, be accompanied by a map that shows geographic origin for each of their identified language types.

So .. you are writing a book, eh? Fiction? Nonfiction? Which genre? What is it about? That sounds very cool and setting it in NYC is especially nice since NYC is "the world's city" and is more culturally/ethnically diverse than any other city on the planet. I love that I can hear half a dozen languages being spoken on the subway each morning, for example.

Hi, No Milk .. what an odd name, by the way .. if I must host my quiz somewhere, I'll do it, but prefer to maintain some control over it myself, if possible.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

I don't understand what you mean by a map of geographical origin. Do you mean a US map that shows the boundaries between these dialects?

My book is a novel about fundamentalist resurgence. Its plot is mostly about the American 2020 Presidential election, where Christian theocrats resurge, but also about similar processes occurring everywhere else in the world, ultimately leading to an endless religious world war. The more vivid images painted in the book are not about New York's diversity, but about the US government torturing and executing dissidents in an American Inquisition.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home