Saturday, July 30, 2005

IBWO Streaming Interview


Female ivory-billed woodpecker at her nest entrance.
Jim Tanner, 1937




Living on Earth has a streaming interview with Jerome Jackson and Tim Gallagher that you might be interested to hear. The transcript is also present on this page. This interview is available in mp3 and RealAudio formats.

Here is a 1935 video of an ivory-billed woodpecker working on a tree trunk.

If you don't already think that ornithologists are nuts, look at this video from the 1935 expedition in northern Louisiana to find the IBWO.

Links courtesy of the Ivory-billed woodpecker conservation stamp print, where they also have other links that have appeared here previously.

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

3 Peer Reviews:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool... hard to imagine that clips from the 1930's are now streaming video across the internet. something very amazing about that. woodpeckers in general are fun to listen to in the woods, i know a spot near my family cabin where you can always hear them.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Love that video from 1935! I think Library of Congress is trying to digitize non-copyrighted movies for greater viewing. Thanks for finding it and I think I would have been one of the 'crazy' ones.

6:06 AM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

I am glad that you enjoy those links. I have several friends out there who make sure I get the links to this stuff if I don't find it first. As it is, I have an inside line to view the videos that were NOT included in the Science article, videos that several people say are better than the one video that is widely available on the internet. Hopefully, I will be permitted to share those additional videos with my readers, too.

GrrlScientist

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home