Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Blog Carnival Daily Double


The Tangled Bank



I was feeling uncharacteristically bold recently and submitted an essay I wrote to the latest Tangled Bank and also to the Education Carnival, wondering if either one would like it well enough to accept it. Amazingly (to me, anyway), both of them accepted it. Simply shocking, I know, since this essay is not a thoughtful analysis piece (you know, the sort of thing that I like to write when I have a few minutes to think about things and when I am not battling that potent malaise that grips my soul).

Anyway, to celebrate this public exposure, I did add a picture to the piece, a picture that hopefully adds a little er, "atmosphere".

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

5 Peer Reviews:

Blogger Alon Levy said...

Did you really have low chances of succeeding? I seldom read blog carnivals, but as far as I understand they accept almost all pieces submitted to them.

Good luck with the public exposure, either way.

10:59 AM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Ya know, it sounds silly now, but I always expect I'll be rejected .. I guess it's due to my experience with applying for jobs and from my graduate school experiences and .. well, you get the idea.

GrrlScientist

6:34 PM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

"Graduate school experiences" - why, did you find it hard to get admitted to grad school, or did you find it hard to get your thesis topic approved, or what?

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having gone to grad school for a different subject area -- and survived more or less with a PhD, I can affirm that much of the process seems more like hazing than professional preparation. Or in the eyes of some facutly, these two aren't clearly distinguished. Most of us have our share of grad school horror stories -- faculty behavior we vow never to repeat should we one day be mentoring grad students. Sadly, these vows aren't always kept. As for publication in Tangled Bank, that's not a strict peer-reviewed journal but it's a darn fine crew. If you were to submit a bozo essay, it would indeed get rejected. So on your success, I say congrats! The peer respect of your fellow science bloggers, most of whom are highly qualified, does mean something.

10:37 AM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Graduate school is a schizophrenic experience, Alon. Some days, it brings great joy, and others, it makes one wonder why they bothered to climb out of bed. I love academics, but there are days when it closely resembles a public pissing contest between first grade boyz, whilst the girls aren't even allowed into the contest because they lack the necessary physical equipment. Basically, I find it difficult to accepted as a full member of this field that I sacrificed everything to be part of. Although, that said, I do find acceptance as an intellectual equal from places I would not have expected.

Thanks for the kind words, ThomH. I need some confidence-building events right now, so I am taking pleasure in the small things.

GrrlScientist

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home