Friday, June 03, 2005

Birds in the News, Interrupted

Today's edition of the Birds in the News is suspended until next week. Please accept my apologies (all three of you, dear readers, who read each week's issue).

I have a job interview today with the very best college I've interviewed with yet. Needless to say, despite all my recent Adjunct Professor interview activity, this is the position that I want the very most, so of course, I have completely psyched myself into a state of near panic over it. It's a four hour interview and they wish me to give a 45-minute lecture for an animal behavior class that describes the genetics or physiology of a behavior. Because this is the first time I have actually given a real full-length "job talk", this additional demand helps increase my panic because all the other interviews were .. well, short. Easy. My biggest challenge was to remember to smile a lot.

On the good side of things, I am talking about one of the most fascinating bird breeding model systems that we know of, and I will likely write a more detailed account of these birds for you all to read after my adrenaline levels drop to normal once more. Also good; they are feeding me lunch (yippee! free lunch! I hope I don't barf).

I am ready to set off. My powerpoint presentation is burned on a CD, I actually know how to get there already so I don't have to worry about getting lost, and I am dressed to the teeth.

I hope I am not forgetting anything ...

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

9 Peer Reviews:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

Keep it up, Hedwig - there doesn't seem to be a lot of tunnel length left for you.

1:22 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Just stopped by looking for an update. How did it go? Hope all went well and you are out celebrating somewhere, and having a great time.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!! I really, really hope you get the job!

9:51 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

I had a nice little comment written and -- wouldn't you know it? -- my computer crashed right before I posted it. There is more on the way, but I amn too frustrated right now to write any more.

GrrlScientist

8:20 PM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

Hindsight is 20/20, but in such cases the best thing to do is to write your post in a text editor such as MSWord, save frequently, and only copy-and-paste it to Blogger when you finish.

5:23 AM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

My computer (which really isn't mine at all, I am borrowing it from my postdoc employer, which means that I use it on their premises) is having serious problems. It recently started crashing when I use any Microsoft software. I can view MS files and open new files, but I cannot modify them without the computer crashing. When it crashes (which is a random event, sometimes occurring when I am doing nothing more than thinking about what I will write next), a filmy dark curtain drops over the screen and a notice pops up in three languages and then the computer becomes unresponsive unless told to restart. Norton utilities and anti-virus checks have found nothing. If it was my own computer, I'd be more aggressive than that, but alas, it's not mine. I guess it's time to call the IT guys and have them puzzle it out .. sigh. I wonder when I will get it back?

GrrlScientist

2:01 PM  
Blogger jamie said...

Well good luck, for real, hope it went well. But MS Word and computers crashing and . . .

I saw a hawk snatch a squirrel from the branch of a pine tree today, HA! Perspective . . .

Speaking of, I have to be at work in four hours, bleh.

2:46 AM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Perspective: I am glad I am not a squirrel.

GrrlScientist

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home