Sunday, June 05, 2005

Movie Meme

I was tagged by James at Ruminating Dude with this movie meme. Unfortunately, I am much more boring than he is with regards to movies, as you will realize here (maybe I should write a truthful answer and then write the answer that I think you all wish to read?)


Total number of films I own: One! I own one! It's a DVD that a friend of mine, a minor actor whose biggest claim to fame are several small parts on TV's Law and Order, gave to me for Christmas a couple years ago. He gave me a DVD of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. This was when it had first been released, I believe. Anyway, I have never watched it because I don't own a TV, DVD player nor a computer. I hope to eventually purchase a laptop of my own for many reasons, not the least of which is because I'd like to sit in the dark in bed, watching DVDs, starting with this one.

The last film I bought: Um .. I've never purchased one. Although, if I had the necessary equipment and money, I'd go nuts and buy all the HP DVDs that I don't yet own and of course, I'd also purchase the complete Lord of the Rings series (I have only seen the first film, and loved it)! I'd also buy all my favorite films that I describe below.

The last film I watched: Um .. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. (Have any of you noticed a theme yet? It's okay, you don't need to answer that question if you don't want to).

I know, I am pathetic. I need to get out more, especially to movie theatres. A friend has been bugging me mercilessly in email about seeing The Parrots of Telegraph Hill because he is certain that the star, Mark (?) Bittner, and I are somehow related. But I haven't seen it, so I cannot comment. Hrm, come to think of it, this is another film I'd add to my "buy right away" list.

Five favorite films: (in no particular order)

Hombre mirando al sudeste (Man Facing Southeast). A wonderful and underrated Argentinian film that explores what happens to people who are labeled "different" by society. I am still surprised to know that this story was filmed, produced and released in Argentina, considering the general state of governmental paranoia in the 1980s.

Schindler's List. A masterpiece (and a true story) that looks at a small-time businessman/con artist in Nazi Germany who, when he had the opportunity, rose to meet the challenge of a lifetime and actually made a difference in many people's lives.

Stand and Deliver. Another fabulous movie and true story, this film tells the story of Garfield High School in east LA and the teacher who changed the lives of poor inner city youth. This teacher ignored everyone's advice and taught calculus to his students. They learned it so well that almost all of them scored well on the Advanced Placement Calculus Exam for college.

Mr. Holland's Opus. Another wonderful film that tries to show the audience that no life is ever truly wasted if it is spent pursuing one's true passion. I try to believe this message every day, although it has been difficult to hold on to that during this past year. I especially loved how this film ended. Does anyone know if this a true story?

Awakenings. Another true story about a medical scientist who "awakens" a group of patients by giving them L-dopa. These patients, whose bodies seemingly turned to stone decades after they suffered from sleeping sickness, suddenly were transformed from statues into whole, living and loving people for a brief shining period of time.

Of course, I also love watching the Harry Potter films and I want to watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. I also love anything with Bill Murray in it, especially Groundhog Day, and I cannot forget to mention Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, with Gene Wilder. I love anything with Gene Wilder in it (I almost peed my pants because I was laughing so hard when I first saw that scene in Blazing Saddles when a group of cowboys were gathered around the campfire eating beans, for example).


tags: , ,

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

2 Peer Reviews:

Blogger James said...

We definitely need to get you up and running with some more movies --- hopefully you'll be in a position in the not too distant future to indulge some cinematic splurging!

5:37 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

I hope so! By the way, my friend took me to see the film Ladies in Lavender this weekend and it was fabulous! I highly recommend it, even though it was somewhat disturbing because I could almost catch a glimpse of myself in that film, 40 years or so from now.

GrrlScientist

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home