Monday, July 18, 2005

IBWO ID: The Latest Buzz

It is possible that the three "anti-IBWO paper" authors are claiming that the ivory-billed woodpecker, Campephilus principalis, sighting was really a leucistic* pileated woodpecker, Dryocopus pileatus, since leucistic PIWO have been reported in Texas and mistaken for IBWO. The authors of the original paper claim this bird was not a PIWO because the bird they saw was significantly larger than a PIWO and that "acoustic signatures consistent with Campephilus display drums also have been heard from the region" (original paper online includes a link to the PDF).


*Leucism (in birds): albino, unusually pale or having abnormally large patches of white where they normally do not occur.

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

3 Peer Reviews:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems you have some privy knowledge of the individuals/institutions and paper claiming mis-identification of IBWO. Is this too speculative at this point to be more forthcoming about their identity?

9:43 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Yes, I do know more about this paper than I am telling you right now because I was sworn to secrecy before the information was revealed to me (the things I write on my blog are speculations between some of my west coast birdwatching colleagues and me). I am hoping that one of the authors will email comments to me or will post comments here, but because I am bound by my word, I cannot reveal anything until one of them does, first.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Leucism stumped a bunch of peops on a tour group at the Omaha Rain Forest bio dome. There was a stark white alligator with normal colored eyes in an exhibit but others kept saying it was an albino alligator. I just kept quiet and had this look on my face that my girlfriend picked up on. As the tour guide spilled the beans about the alligator all the "experts" in the group were crushed. I just laughed to myself. Later on, I had to tell my girlfriend what was up. She said I should have piped up and told the group but I thought what was the use.

Just a trivial story that your entry reminded me of.

Peace.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home