Friday, July 15, 2005

IBWO update: incorrect ID?

I am posting this forwarded email from a nearby public library.

---------------------------------------------------

There has been a paper submitted for publication by three individuals with credentials, re-evaluating the Cache River report that states the bird in the video is a Pileated and presenting their doubts of the sightings. So the rumblings are much deeper than just the recordings and by folks you will see that carry some weight. Everything should be out in the open soon with some discussion I'm sure at the ABA Convention starting July 18 in Tucson, where Fitzpatrick I believe is doing a presentation. May be sour grapes or collision of egos but time will sort it all out. Let us all hope the bird wins out.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN

----------------------------------------

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

4 Peer Reviews:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think it's crappy when people wait until the breakthrough is public to voice their criticisms. Why did they wait so long? Or did they have to wait to see the evidence before they could test their hypothesis? I guess we can just hope there will be a productive discussion about it and not just a war of the egomaniacs.

--MsPhD

8:21 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

I agree, it is nearly impossible to think that so many experts could share the same hallucinations and could capture them on video, too.

The behind-the-scenes information I am getting is interesting. I am not sure if there is a problem with the data or with the egos (who should have been) involved. I am waiting for something "concrete" before I say any more.

GrrlScientist

12:49 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

As of Monday morning, I have been told some behind-the-scenes information about the "anti-IBWO paper" that will soon be published, but this information was revealed to me under the condition that I could not reveal it to anyone else. Honestly, why the secrecy?? This is not an issue of National Security, fercrissakes! I hope that someone who can speak about this will either post here or (preferably) email comments to me so I can publish them here.

GrrlScientist

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's the scoop on the paper, from what I've been able to learn:
http://nuthatch.typepad.com/ba/2005/07/upcoming_paper_.html

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home