Sunday, January 29, 2006

100,000 Dead Mice

Yesterday, Scientific Life surpassed 100,000 visitors. In fact, visitor number 100,000 popped into here shortly before 6pm. What brought this visitor here? Dead mice, that's what! This person googled the phrase, "how long does a dead mouse smell" and guess whose blog pops up?





Okay, for those of you who want to know about dead mice, I will tell you that they smell horrible for approximately 3-4 days. After that, they still smell but it's not as bad as it was -- perhaps because your sense of smell has been so severely compromised that you are no longer aware of it?

Also, I've noticed that dead mice smell differently, depending upon how they die. Mice that died after being stuck in sticky traps tend to smell like really dirty laundry, whereas mice that die after eating poison containing warfarin tend to smell like, well, dead mice, but there's a sweet smell mixed in with the stench. I hope this answers all your dead mouse questions. If not, feel free to ask and I will provide the answers because we all know that I am the internet expert of dead mice.

So, those of you who know that I was mirroring Birds in the News here are probably curious to know if attaining the magical 100,000 visits was personally satisfying to me, if all my problems are solved as a result. I'd like to say that yes, having more than 100,000 visitors who have looked at my site for information about dead mice (and other things) that polite people don't talk about is tremendously satisfying to me. I think my next step will be to use my new-found confidence to run for the presidency of this country so I can forevermore eradicate evil house mice and the landlords who love them.

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

6 Peer Reviews:

Blogger : Joseph j7uy5 said...

I agree, you should run for President. Just keep in mind those photos that PZ has. They'll be everyhwere!

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of dead mice___
I feature oe
in my blog entry today

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to say thank you for the hope that you gave me. My wife killed our "guest" with poison. He died somewhere and I have tried to tear up my kitchen by following the smell. I have had no luck. I just needed have some clue on how long this smell will last or if I should hurry up and put my house up for sale now.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been through all my cupboards in my kitchen and I smell something like soured milk? Could this be a dead mouse? Haven't seen any around my apartmnet but my little dog barks in the kitchen. How long with it last and will it ever go away??

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi- I googled "dead mouse location" and your site came up! We have a dead mouse smell in our house, although we are having difficulty pinpointing the source. It only seems to occur in the evening in our living room. It doesn't seem to be in the HVAC system (doesn't smell near registers); doesn't seem to be in the chimney (no smell there); I took down the ceiling fan/light and foam-sealed around the box, in case it was in between the ceiling & upstairs. No luck. Any tips for locating this dead mouse?

Thanks!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My work takes me into research areas that house literally thousands of mice per room. And you think that they smell bad when they're dead? It's not like they ever take showers or anything. And being watched by thousands of unblinking beady little eyes can be unnerving at times.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home