Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Good News (Maybe)



I have an interview!


This is a real, honest-to-gawd interview. For an academic position. This interview is four hours long (and yes, they feed me, too!) and best of all, this interview is not;

1. a frantic telephone call begging me to teach 36 hours before my class begins

2. not for an hourly part-time temp (adjunct professor) position

3. not teaching at a low-quality school that embarasses me


This interview IS;

1. for a position that pays well enough that I can actually pay my rent while simultaneously affording;

a. decent food that is NOT RICE AND BEANS!
b. MTA cards
c. my monthly cell phone bill
d. some decent clothes without holes in er, strategic locations
e. AND still afford to buy a few books and go to a movie once in awhile (Broadway shows will still be beyond my income, unfortunately)

I wonder if I will have health benefits, too??


This interview is in one month (we are working out the precise details now). It is for a contract position that pays better than an adjunct position (LOTS!) and even though it is not a tenure-track position, it is the next best thing. Not only would getting this position show some real progress along my career path, but it is an interview with a very high-quality institution, one that I will be proud to be associated with, one that I can pour my heart and mind into, a place into which I can invest every molecule of energy and passion I have. I don't want to say exactly who it is yet on my blog but you all have heard of them and you would all be thrilled to see me there, this I can guarantee you!

This position, if I get it, is for next spring semester, so all I have to do is figure out how to stay alive and housed through January, 2006.

Anyway, regardless of the outcome, I shall probably reveal who they are after the process is over. I will, of course, keep you posted as to my preparations: This requires careful planning if I am to succeed.

I am afraid to feel too happy about this, but I will indulge myself for the remainder of today in happy, floaty feelings because I will finally have a purpose again.


Uh oh, what to wear? What to wear? I have no idea what to wear! IEEE!!!



Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you with that weird picture.

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

8 Peer Reviews:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Show them what you've got!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Orac said...

Congratulations and knock 'em dead!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Primer1 said...

Exciting! Break a leg.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippieeeeee! I'm doing the happy Mexican Hat Dance for you right NOW! You're a brainiac and they'd be lucky to have you!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

Best of luck, Hedwig! It's excellent to hear you're finally going to pull up - and hopefully it'll quickly give way to a tenure-track position.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Sweet! Knock 'em dead!

11:22 AM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! I am still very excited about this, and also about the ivory-billed woodpecker sightings. I am suffering from sensory overload (in a good way, of course).

But don't forget, this is not the "big" interview that I posted about yesterday, either! (that interview takes place in one month).

This job interview was for a different position that I thought I would not get, so I didn't mention it at all on my blog, except in my weekly job status tally at the end of my Birds in the News blog entries.

Hopefully, my life will straighten out again very soon, so instead of worrying about survival, I can focus on what I love most: bird evolution!

GrrlScientist

7:56 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Thanks Chris! This college is located in NYC, but I wish this interview was with a Bay Area university because I would have the honor of meeting YOU! But nevertheless, when I visit the west coast again, I will be sure to let you know (I am sure you know by now that I am a native of the west coast).

GrrlScientist

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home