Friday, December 16, 2005

Nominated for the 2005 Koufax Awards

I am stunned. I had no idea that there were blog awards, but I just learned that Scientific Life was nominated twice for the Best Expert Blog category (by Coturnix, and by John. Wow, you both are so sweet to think of me!) and once for the Best Single Issue Blog category (by John) for the 2005 Koufax Awards. The Koufax Awards, named for lefty pitcher Sandy Koufax, are intended to recognize blogs and bloggers on the political left. Click here for the rules for the "Sandy" Awards.

It appears that multiple nominations for blogs and for individual blog essays are actively encouraged, and a blog must receive more than one nomination to appear in the semi-finals, so if you also feel motivated to nominate Scientific Life or an individual essay that appears here for one of the Koufax categories, then go for it!


Here are a few recent pieces that I think are worthwhile individual nominations for the "Best Post" category (you can also check out the pieces listed as "most popular" on the left sideboard);

Backtracking Birds Show Islands are not Evolutionary Dead Ends

Thoughts on the Value of Blogs to Science (this one generated a lot of discussion when I posted it)

The Wizarding Apprentices' Surprising Discovery (this one was suggested to me; I never would have picked it out of the collection)


and several other 2005 pieces that have been favorites;

Beauty is in the Details (this one was republished in the print media)

How I Hosted the Tangled Bank .. (this one still generates a lot of discussion and interest)

Tsunamis and Mangroves: The Shrimp Connection (this one is really good, and is my first essay posted in 2005, so I think it is eligible for this category)


My friend, PZ Myers, was nominated for the same blog categories, and my other friend, Chris Clarke, was nominated for Best Post category for his wonderful piece, Life and Death (and they both will certainly win) but hey, I am honored to be included in such wonderful company! Thanks, dear readers!

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

6 Peer Reviews:

Blogger Abel Pharmboy said...

Oh, come on! Of course you deserve it! Keep up the fabulous work!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Ms.PhD said...

I agree, the more accolades, the better.

I've been thinking of you, even if I haven't posted much to your site...

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one is more worthy, girlfriend!

5:23 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I'm glad you were nominated. I'm actually not a believer in competitions of this sort, but I bet it feels great to be held in high regard by your readers. For that alone, it's worth it.

10:47 AM  
Blogger jamie said...

The bestest writer on the internets, Chris Clarke, just plugged your article about island evolution. Now that is an award, and a well-deserved one!

3:08 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

thanks for your encouragement, everyone. it does mean a lot to me to know that people think highly enough of my baby blog to nominate it for anything at all.

and wow, but thanks for telling me that my writing hero, chris clark, linked to that article. he was going to help me edit it for a writing contest, but i didn't follow through. even though the deadline for that contest is long passed now, i should work on it anyway so i can post it to my blog after it moves to its new location. that'd be a nice way to start it off in its new home since it includes almost everything i like to write about (except avian influenza).

GrrlScientist

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home