Sunday, November 27, 2005

I Passed Eighth Grade Science

If this is an example of the general quality of the average eighth grade science test, it's no wonder that our kids are failing. They can't decipher the tests because they are so poorly written.

For example, you will not get 8/8 unless you substitute neutron for neuron on this test. And that is just the beginning.


You Passed 8th Grade Science

Congratulations, you got 8/8 correct!

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

9 Peer Reviews:

Blogger Joe said...

Yeah, I'm impressed by all that genetic information in my "nuclues" too. I'd hate to think I was made up of old clues...

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I got 8/8 too and the film of my life is an erotic thriller. I am an eagle (which animal are you) BUT - I failed the constitutionality test for being an American citizen (thank God)
G.

11:52 AM  
Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

8/8 as well! thanks for posting this!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realise that the test was absurdly easy (8/8 for me!) and I should be saddened by the state of our education system...but wasn't it fun to take a science test again? Sometimes I miss the joy of taking tests now that I am a grown up. I know this makes me a very strange person. Sorry.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

I wouldn't call taking tests a "joy." I think a better term to describe my feeling when taking tests is, "Utter nervousness, often accompanied by a frantic scramble in my head for some way to solve question 5 before my time is up."

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

8 for 8, but, honestly, I guessed at a couple of them.

3:32 PM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Joe; yes, i laughed when i first read that question .. "nuclues"!

Anonymous; i am not sure what animal i am, but i would not be surprised to discover i am a seaslug.

BagOfNothing; not a problem; glad you enjoyed it.

inky circus; don't worry about it. sometimes it is nice to find out that we are not as incompetent as the people around us believe we are, even if that realization is only by deciphering an absurdly easy test.

Alon; that's only because you are taking hard tests in mathematics! (can you hear barbie's (the doll) voice in your head saying math is hard!!)

pablo; i think the test writer guessed at a number of spellings in that test, too, so you are even!

Roy; did you pass eighth grade science? no? that's where you learn about the cell nucleus.

GrrlScientist

4:56 PM  
Blogger Alon Levy said...

Yeah, math is indeed excruciatingly hard, though what I have in mind when I say it is quite different from what Barbie has in mind... By the way, if you're interested, it turns out question 5 is impossible, i.e. what it asked us to prove is false. Now I'm cracking my head trying to prove a weaker version of that theorem, which my advisor tells me is true.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I got 8/8 and I even went to a public school.

My daughter's high school "science" education at our local public school (which overall is a great school) consists of rain forest decline, global warming and other political discussions - little science.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home