Sunday, November 27, 2005

Holiday Gift Idea



What does a disenfranchised chemist do for a living when she is unable to find a job doing anything at all?? Even though I am not a chemist, I have spent years wondering this myself in the context of my own tiny life and today discovered one possibility in my email box from a self-described "disenfranchised struggling moonlighting female scientist". She reports that some of her similarly disenfranchised and unemployable colleagues actually got together and started their own business, designing and selling t-shirts, mugs and other paraphernalia to their still-employed scientist-colleagues and their geeky friends and family members. So if you, dear readers, would like to support several more scientists who are currently struggling to survive and receive something special in return for your contribution, you should check out Yellow Ibis (no, I didn't name them).

I really love their logo (pictured at top), and wish they had a t-shirt with that on it they tell me that they can make one for me if I wish!

tags: ,

==============

© 2004, 2005, 2006 by GrrlScientist

5 Peer Reviews:

Blogger jamie said...

Blogger is voracious, eating comments today. I'd buy a mug or shirt or three for BITN. Maybe more, if you added a quip about evolutionary theory on them. 'Tis xmas season - let's spend money we don't have like good consumers!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Ms.PhD said...

Yeah, I agree with Jamie- although I genuinely don't want to help the economy, and therefore George W, I would gladly buy a t-shirt, preferably a cute girly one with GrrlScientist on it and an angry, feminist bird as our icon of glory. Got any of those? Yikes, I could also use a run-on sentence chopped for xmas.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you GrrlScientist for mentioning our website!! We are indeed 'disenfranchised struggling moonlighting female scientists' who are trying really hard to make the best out of a crappy situation. It seems like many of us nowadays get caught in this giant void after grad school in which we become like migrant workers, moving from one underpaid no-rights unstable job to another. Don't all of us scientists deserve better than this?

Anyways, science may be cold, but our t-shirts are warm. :) We also do custom requests for no additional charge, so if there is a design, photo, saying, etc that you have always wanted on a shirt, email us! tshirts@yellowibis.com.

Thanks again! And we are crossing our fingers for GrrlScientist to land her dream job in 2006!!

10:20 PM  
Blogger jamie said...

"angry feminist bird?"

well that idea just got all kinds of cooler . . . peacocks be damned!

12:15 AM  
Blogger GrrlScientist said...

Jamie; yes, blogger is really quite a problem these days. i also have problems publishing new pieces here, so it hardly surprises me that comments are also disappearing, although it does disappoint me!

Ms. PhD; it's good to see you back here. thanks for commenting. i will try to create a couple designs for shirts, etc. in the next couple weeks (gotta finish torturing my students with final exams, first). maybe i'll put them on my blog and let you all choose your favorites before i print up a pile of the things?

YellowIbis; well, thanks so much for reading my stuff. that's the only reason i am here, is for the audience and their comments. and thanks for your good wishes for my job hunt. i certainly need all the help (and good wishes) i can get. nothing i've done has helped.

Jamie; i have a hard time imagining what an angry feminist bird looks like .. but my my mind's eye makes me laugh.

GrrlScientist

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home